Follow the sequence of operations suggested for Case Binding up to Step 6, then
- Make endpapers, to include a waste sheet.
- Select and cut boards oversize, and line with paper.
- Sew on endpapers.
- Fray out cords or slips.
- Tip up first and last sections and leaves.
- Glue up, using thin, hot flexible glue.
- When dry, trim the edges if required.
- Round and back the book.
- Cut boards to the required size.
- Make holes in the boards.
- Cut channels in the boards to accept the slips.
- Paste slips, lace in and knock down.
- Adjust the book in the standing press.
- Clean off and leave the book in the press for 8 hours.
- Trim head, tail and foredge.
- Decorate edges, and apply head and tail bands.
- Line the spine, and apply a hollow back.
- Cut leather to size.
- Pare the leather.
- Prepare book for covering, i.e. back corner, slit hollow back, mitre corners.
- Attach corners and spine. Set head and tail.
- Trim out, fill in and apply siding material (for half-bound book), or
Trim out and fill in (for full-bound book).
- Trim endpapers and attach.
- Press for 8 hours.
- Hand tool the spine.
- Apply foil, gold leaf or blind-tooling if required.
Back to Bookbinding